Four Weeks (20 Days) 160 Hours
This program aims to build an expert RPAS workforce that can find well-paying jobs in the Canadian RPAS service industry. We expect our successful students to be employed in the industry within six months of qualifying. We will promote the diploma nationally and successful students will be recognized as holding a valuable industry qualification.
This diploma is registered for delivery at the Volatus RPAS Training Academy in Prince Edward Island and approved by the Department of Education and Lifelong Learning.
Atlantic Volatus Skygate RPAS Training Academy
50D Aerospace Boulevard, Slemon Park, PE, C0B 2A0
Upon successful completion of the Professional RPAS Operational Skills Diploma, graduates will have skills necessary to work in a variety of industries:
- Advertising & Sales
- Conservation & Wildlife
- Construction & Development
- Engineering & Geomatics
- Film Industry
- Infrastructure & Utilities
- Natural Resources
- New Use Cases
- Public Safety
- Social Media & PR
- Sustainable Energy
Students will be taken through the Advanced RPAS knowledge requirements using a workbook designed with resources, regular knowledge-checks and classroom instruction. Advanced RPAS Skills Training will take place in the field with practical skills assessments.
- TP15263 Knowledge areas required by Transport Canada for RPAS Pilot Certification (following up on self-study material)
- Site surveys, Checklists & Basic RPAS controls
- Flight review practice & Emergency Procedures training
- Transport Canada Flight Reviews
You may omit this first week if you already have the Transport Canada Advanced Operations Pilot Certificate (or have basic RPAS skills and knowledge from operating in another country). Week 01 includes a comprehensive review of safety procedures and skills practice routines. It is highly recommended as a “refresher” for basic operators.
Complex environment training will build on the student’s skills to understand RPAS setup, control & function, close proximity piloting skills, photography & videography, photo & video editing and project management.
- RPAS Setup Control & Function (DJI Mavic & Matrice)
- Flight Modes & Calibration Procedures (DJI Assistant)
- Advanced Close Proximity Piloting Skills (NIST Obstacle Course Training)
- Aerial Photography & Videography techniques (Object Tracking & Compound Motions)
- Photo & Video Editing workflows (Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro)
- RPAS Accessories (Payload Release, CSM Radar, Parachute, Tether Systems)
- RPAS Project Management, Log keeping & maintenance
Drone inspection techniques and understanding RPAS payload systems are imperative for an RPAS professional. In addition to cementing these skills, students will be introduced to thermography and specialist sensor applications.
- Payload Systems (DJI H20 Series, IR, UV, Gas Detection, NDT)
- Basic Drone Thermography
- RPAS Inspection Techniques (Buildings, Structures, Bridges, Paved Surfaces)
- Inspecting Infrastructure (Solar Panels, Wind Turbines, Power Lines, Cell Towers)
- Dual Control RPAS Operational Skills (DJI Matrice)
- Autonomous Flight Control & Project Management
Many people fail in commercializing their RPAS skills because of poor data management and bad workflows. We will teach our students the fundamentals of data management and workflows to ensure their success. Additionally, students will learn: aerial photogrammetry, mapping, multispectral imaging, LIDAR principles, RTK & GPS position methods, orthomosaic stitching, 3D point cloud construction processes.
- Payload systems (DJI P1 & L1 LIDAR, Multispectral, Magnetometry, Ground Penetrating Radar, Bathymetry)
- Introduction to Fixed Wing & VTOL RPAS systems & Piloting
- Oblique & Nadir Mapping Photogrammetry methods
- RTK & PPK GPS Positioning basics
- Orthomosaic Stitching & 3D Point Cloud Construction processes
- Data Management & Analysis with AI and Live Data Analysis
- Search & Rescue techniques with third party apps
- Age: 18 or older
- Candidates must attest that they do not have a disability that would impair their ability to operate radio equipment
- Canadian Citizenship or Canadian Residency*
* foreign applicants may have some limitations operating drones in Canada, contact us for more information
No personal shall be denied any training activity on the basis of any legally prohibited discrimination involving such factors as race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, ancestry, sex, gender (including identity or expression), sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Volatus is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all persons with documented disabilities. If you need support or assistance due to a disability, please contact your instructor for assistance.
$7,900 (excluding HST)
$500 to secure seat. The deposit will be applied towards tuition.